Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One of those Days!

I'd been having a pretty tough day trying to quilt an antique quilt. The sides were several inches bigger than the center so I was having a difficult time working in all the fullness. I had been feeling a bit under the weather so let's just say I wasn't in the best of moods. I was basting and trying to work in the extra fabric when I sewed my thumb to the quilt. The needle went in the side and out the back and jammed the machine so the up stitch button wouldn't work. The screen said "Error". Of course it was an error! Would I have done that on purpose?

I could not reach the screw driver to remove the needle so I tried to reach the manual knob. I could barely reach it and when I would touch it, the machine would try to move. I thought I was going to be sewn to the quilt all afternoon until Lane came home. Luckily, I guess, with the needle through my thumb, I wasn't bleeding so the quilt was not getting stained. I finally managed to get the manual knob turned and get the needle lifted but then I could't get the needle out of the thumb. I guess the muscles just tightened around it. I did finally manage to free myself and then the blood started moving. Ever try putting a bandage on a bleeding appendage with only one hand? Finally, all seems well. I survived, didn't have to spend the evening sewn to a quilt, am actually in very little pain, and I have a great story to tell.

3 comments:

  1. EEEEEEEOUCH!!!! Sounds horrible. and I can picture it in my mind. Gives me shivers just thinking about it. I've done that with my regular sewing machine, and those needles are a lot smaller, and it hurt, a lot, so I can't imagine how the long arm needle wouldn't hurt. I hope it gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your feeling ok today. Where's the web cam when you need it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stomach is clenching. yikes, what if you'd been there for hours? Maybe I'll keep my cell phone in my pocket so I could call someone if I was sewing in an empty house. Glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete