Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Steal from "the other side of the tracks"

I can hardly believe this beauty is mine. I found a ratty old used furniture store down by the railroad tracks and saw this machine for $100 and my heart skipped a beat. I called the owner over to ask him a few questions and he immediately said, "I'll sell that to you for $50. Oh my gosh! I would have gladly paid $100! It is a 1916 Singer treadle machine and is in immaculate condition, sews beautifully. Not only that, it has a beautiful oak cabinet with 6 carved drawers and absolutely no rust. The face plate is beautiful scroll work. I took it to my friend's husband, who is a machine repair man and he was amazed at it's condition and beauty. There is a small water ring on the top of the cabinet, which he says he'll easily sand out. He has stain the exact color and will make it look like new. I am soooo excited! Dan took this picture and sent it to me when he took it out of the cabinet to add a new belt and clean some of the old dust off since I was so excited that I forgot to take pics. When I get it back, I'll post pics of the cabinet.

4 comments:

  1. Your new Singer 66 will be great for piecing and other kinds of sewing.
    Given that around 1.5 million were manufactured most years, the dealer's price was probably right.
    I am soooooo looking forward to seeing the cabinet. (And if the irons are properly lubricated, you will love how easily and quietly it sews.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Viki, it's a beauty. Can't wait to see the "after" pictures. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a find! It is gorgeous! What a beauty!

    ReplyDelete