Saturday, May 14, 2011

Machine Quilter's Showcase - Kansas City

I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Kansas City for classes and a thread buy. I am always amazed that I can spend $500 and only have a couple of bags of thread. The classes were great and I am ready to give the new ideas a go. I took a thread painting class from Claudia Pfeil from Germany and can hardly wait to do some of it, but I've got a bunch of customer quilts to get done before June so thread painting will just have to wait. I have some new ideas for sashings and borders that I'll be able to try right away. In fact, I already tried one idea this morning on a customer quilt.

I met with a group at a restaurant called Carrabba's Italian Restaurant and Wow! what flavor! I had seafood cannelloni with shrimp, crab, and scallops. It was delightful. For dessert I had Creme Brulle provided by Zoltan Kasa, inventor of the IQ I use on my long-arm machine. It was a great evening being with several on-line friends I've never personally met before.

The show was amazing as well. It certainly humbles me when I get to thinking too highly of myself. What artists there are in the quilt world! Claudia, the instructor of one of my classes took Best of Show, using 40,000 crystals in her undersea quilt.

When I got back home, after only 2 days and an overnight stay with my daughter's college friend who lives in KC and graciously allowed me to sleep over, I was amazed at what started blooming in my garden.
These batik irises are always some of the first to bloom and are so striking.
This is my new tree peony. The picture and description said it would have white edges. Well, I guess if you look closely, and use your imagination, you might see edges, but just barely.
Although this is a sweet pink, it is not the lovely lavender the picture showed in the catelog.
My first baby rose of the spring is peeking out and there are many more just waiting to show their faces later this week.
No spring is quite here until you see the Bleeding Hearts.
And finally after a severe pruning last fall, my variegated willow bush is starting to look wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment